Round 9 – Week 4 – Cut Caffeine After Lunch

Moderator: AHB Team

Round 9 – Week 4 – Cut Caffeine After Lunch

Posted Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Congratulations - you're past the halfway mark in the 6 Week Sleep Challenge!

This week we are turning it up a notch and asking you to give up caffeinated drinks later in the afternoon and evening. Share your tips and struggles with your fellow challengers below.

What tips and tricks have you found useful in reducing afternoon caffeine?

What’s your favourite alternative to caffeine?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Round 9 – Week 4 – Cut Caffeine After Lunch

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:20 am

Oh yes, I am a winner this week!
My caffeine intake is 1 cup of tea at lunch and that's it. On the weekend I might have a 2nd cup in the afternoon, but I'm just not cut out for more caffeine than that.

What I'm more interested in is how the piece of chocolate that I have for desert most nights might be affecting my sleep?
Chameleongirl

Posted Wed May 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Chameleongirl wrote:Oh yes, I am a winner this week!
My caffeine intake is 1 cup of tea at lunch and that's it. On the weekend I might have a 2nd cup in the afternoon, but I'm just not cut out for more caffeine than that.

What I'm more interested in is how the piece of chocolate that I have for desert most nights might be affecting my sleep?

Good question Chameleongirl!

All chocolate contains some caffeine as the cacao beans from which chocolate is made contain small amounts of caffeine - and the darker the chocolate the more caffeine it contains. However, the amount is much smaller than in coffee, so there would be only a small amount of caffeine in a few squares of milk chocolate.
But it is not just the caffeine in chocolate that could be affecting your sleep. New research indicates that theobromine, a compound that also comes from the cacao beans, has similar physiological effects to caffeine and is actually more abundant in chocolate than caffeine. While research is still limited in this area, it may be that it isn't just the caffeine in the chocolate that we should be concerned about.
So maybe restrict the chocolate treat to earlier in the day.
Sweet dreams! Dr Carmel :)
DrCarmel

Posted Thu May 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Damn. I guess cutting that down would be a good idea anyway.
Chameleongirl

Posted Sun May 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Cutting caffeine was easy for me, I don't drink tea or coffee, energy drinks or fizzy drinks
Kara18

Better sleep starts with better habits

Learn more

Find a retailer

Search