Round 9 - Week 6

Moderator: AHB Team

Round 9 - Week 6

Posted Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Well done, you've made it to the final week!

You only have one lifestyle change left to complete - the most important one! This week is all about making time for yourself. Stressed people sleep less, but you can prevent that by taking time from your busy schedule and dedicating 30 minutes to yourself each day. Try stretching before going to bed, reading a book or taking a bath.

Tell us below what you have found to be the most effective way to help you relax before sleep. What are some new techniques you’ve introduced to help you wind down?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Round 9 - Week 6

Posted Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Reading is the best method for me.
Although it does seem to help not having my mobile phone on the bedside table! I put it on the floor under my bed, can't leave it in the other room as I have an elderly mother.

Can you please tell me, is changing your pillow regularly necessary? Mine is several years old, and I notice that some pillows now have expiry dates on them
KGHM

Posted Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 am

Before I started this challenge, I was already working at trying to improve my sleep. I was glad to see the first few weeks matched with my own efforts - reduce blue light exposure, putting devices down, reading in the evenings to unwind, adding regular exercise.

Taking the challenge motivated me to try and keep those efforts at 100%.
I saw an immediate change, I was falling asleep easier, not waking up as much in the night (and falling back asleep when I did), and my instances of early morning waking decreased. I was hopeful for a good outcome.
Unfortunately, the last week and a half have seen my sleep patterns resetting, it's quite frustrating (this morning's wake-up time was 5am, after falling asleep after midnight).
I can't say what's causing it, I'm doing the same things I have since the start. (Except that I can't help but be suspicious of the fact that my poor sleep lines up with me cutting my evening chocolate indulgence out.)

Here's hoping that this is just a temporary setback and the good sleep comes back soon.
I'm so tired of being tired.
Chameleongirl

Posted Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

KGHM wrote:Reading is the best method for me.
Although it does seem to help not having my mobile phone on the bedside table! I put it on the floor under my bed, can't leave it in the other room as I have an elderly mother.

Can you please tell me, is changing your pillow regularly necessary? Mine is several years old, and I notice that some pillows now have expiry dates on them

Reading, providing it is on an old fashioned book, is a great way to go to sleep. When we have the habit of reading every night our brain becomes conditioned to the fact that this is part of the preparation for sleep, so once you begin reading you will be able to fall asleep quite easily soon thereafter....as you have found.

And good on you for finding a solution to removing the technology from easy reach - it really does improve sleep quality and quantity.

As to pillows they do need to be changed regularly and how regularly depends upon the pillow filling. Polyester filled pillows should be changed every 6-12 months and memory foam somewhere between 2-3 years.

Sweet dreams! Dr Carmel
DrCarmel

Posted Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Chameleongirl wrote:Before I started this challenge, I was already working at trying to improve my sleep. I was glad to see the first few weeks matched with my own efforts - reduce blue light exposure, putting devices down, reading in the evenings to unwind, adding regular exercise.

Taking the challenge motivated me to try and keep those efforts at 100%.
I saw an immediate change, I was falling asleep easier, not waking up as much in the night (and falling back asleep when I did), and my instances of early morning waking decreased. I was hopeful for a good outcome.
Unfortunately, the last week and a half have seen my sleep patterns resetting, it's quite frustrating (this morning's wake-up time was 5am, after falling asleep after midnight).
I can't say what's causing it, I'm doing the same things I have since the start. (Except that I can't help but be suspicious of the fact that my poor sleep lines up with me cutting my evening chocolate indulgence out.)

Here's hoping that this is just a temporary setback and the good sleep comes back soon.
I'm so tired of being tired.

It's good news that your sleep did improve when you implemented some of the challenges, but it must be disappointing that the improvement has not continued. Sleep, like everything else, can have its up and downs and sometimes we don't know the cause. Be reassured though that if you maintain your good sleep behaviours it will be to your advantage in the long term. For this week though try focusing on the relaxation aspect of the challenge and maybe indulge in a massage or spa day, as relaxation of mind and body can have a great positive effect on sleep.

Keep up the good work,

Sweet dreams :) Dr Carmel
DrCarmel

Better sleep starts with better habits

Learn more

Find a retailer

Search